Wednesday, February 18, 2009

ARMAND in the early 2000s





Ok - now Armand Van Helden in the 1990s amassed a discography worthy of a full career. He became a dance music deity with tunes like Witch Doktor, his remix of Professional Widow by Tori Amos, Funk Phenomena (which was the biggest tune of 1997 - following Da Funk in 1996 and Flash in 1995), Flowerz and You Dont Know Me.

But the purpose of this post is to focus on some of my faves from his early 2000s discography. And to point out that almost 10 years ago he was doing what everybody else (and I mean everybody) is doing now.

In 2000 he released the full length entitled Killing Puritans which included the smash "Koochy" (a big tune in the early days of Hai Karate), as well a Full Moon with Common - a disco hip house jam which also got alot of play in the club. Those records still sound great - dude has always been way ahead of the curve.

Here is a lesser known tune from the record called "Hybridz" - and sounds a LITTLE bit like "Touch Your Toes" from 2008.
Armand Van Helden feat. Mongloids - Hybridz
Dude has hip house locked down. Shit.

In 2001 he released "What Can't you Free Some Time?" on 12". This also got more than a few spins at Hai Karate:
Armand Van Helden - Why Cant you Free Some Time?

In 2004 (FIVE YEARS AGO!) AVH released My, My, My which is more in the style of his current stuff.
Armand Van Helden - My My My (Original)

Anyways - what a guy. Armand Van Helden - he makes the dance records and he makes them great. So recognize motherfuckers, and danse.

No comments: